Positive Adoption Language
"The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit." Proverbs 15:4
It
is natural to have questions about adoption. But, there is a good way to
ask a question and a bad way. I have already heard, “What is wrong with
her?” What? I understand what you are trying to ask, but there has to be a better way to ask it. I
graciously replied.
I have been reading a lot
about positive adoption language, and questions not to ask adoptive parents. I linked to a couple good articles below. Some of the questions
I read that parents have been asked just floor me. Would someone really
ask that? I guess they do. We have been trying to prepare ourselves
with gracious responses.
I want to be open and share with others. I have wanted to be open this whole journey for two reasons; 1. so God can get the glory in this beautiful story. 2. perhaps God would use our journey to encourage others in a journey of their own.
I want to be open and share with others. I have wanted to be open this whole journey for two reasons; 1. so God can get the glory in this beautiful story. 2. perhaps God would use our journey to encourage others in a journey of their own.
Here are some resources for further reading.
Questions From Strangers, A Moms Response : from the blog of No Hands But Ours. I do appreciate the articles and insight of the families who post to this adoption advocacy site. "Getting a thicker layer of skin has been a must but also learning to be empathetic to those who just have questions and truly want to know more about adoption has had to find a place in our hearts also."
Dear Random Shopper in the Check-out Line : Another one from No Hands But Ours. "Please understand if I correct some of the terms and/or phrases you use. I am not trying to hurt your feelings, and I really do know that your questions are well meaning. But even so, words can be offensive and hurtful, and this is a wonderful opportunity to help us all use better terms and phrases that help children grow in a healthier and more considerate community.
I am their real mom.
They really are brother and sister."


Comments
Post a Comment