admonishing

“My friends, if anyone is detected in a transgression, you who have received
the Spirit should restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness.” Galatians 6:1 

Christians have an obligation to admonish one another.  Webster says it this way: “Advise or urge someone earnestly.  Warn someone of something to be avoided.”  

I don’t know why this subject has been coming up in different avenues for me lately.   

In my experience, it is not easy to admonish or be the one being admonished.  When done out of love for another's soul, not wanting anyone to perish, and rooted in Gospel Truth, it can lead to a deeper relationship amongst brothers of the faith and a deeper relationship with the Lord.  

When I think of admonishing I think, “How will he respond when I bring this up?”  My next thought, “Is it the Lord’s approval I seek, or mans?”  I don’t know how a brother in Christ will respond but I am not responsible for their response.  

“When we allow nothing but God’s Word to stand between us, judging and helping, it is a
service of mercy, an ultimate offer of genuine community. Then it is not we
who are judging; God alone judges, and God’s judgment is helpful and healing.” 
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

- Tim Challies

Read how Nathan called up King David in 2 Samuel 11 and 12.  King David responds by admitting his sin, accepting responsibility, and repenting.  God responds by forgiving King David.  Was it difficult for Nathan to approach David about his sin?  How do I respond when someone approaches me with a wrong I have committed?  Do I make excuses or try to cover up my sin?  Adam tried to put the blame on others and cover up his wrong.  

Maybe a better first question would be, do I have Galations 6:1 men in my life?  Men I have purposefully opened the door to and asked to admonish me.  If some of my brother don’t feel they have the right to admonish me, I intend to fix that.  We are called to pull each other “up” to a better way, to a fuller way (John 10:10).  Have I invited men in my life to do this for me?  After all, it is for my own good.  For we know the heart is deceitful above all things and needs accountability to live according to truth. (Jeremiah 17:9)

I will leave you with more from Dietrich Bonhoeffer:

“When another Christian falls into obvious sin, an admonition is imperative,
because God’s Word demands it. The practice of discipline in the community of
faith begins with friends who are close to one another. 

Nothing can be more cruel than that leniency which abandons others to
their sin. Nothing can be more compassionate than that severe reprimand which
calls another Christian in one’s community back from the path of sin.”  from 40 Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer @Biblegateway.com

Comments

Popular Posts