Finding Fatherhood - Be There
“the glory of children is their fathers.” (Prov 17:6)
“The physical absence of fathers is now considered the most significant family and social problem facing America.” - The Resolution for Men
The institution of fatherhood is not one to be held lightly,
and yet one that research shows is being completely
put to waste in homes everywhere.
I seek to not put this great responsibility to waste,
I seek to be there and involved, I seek to be intentional,
I seek to raise sons who know their manhood, their identity,
sons of purpose, sons who know Truth.
I vow to not be an absent father. I vow to be there.
When I arrived home the other day
H was eagerly waiting to play with me.
He is constantly saying, "play with me dad."
I caught myself checking email on my phone the other day
(which no longer works, so I won't be doing this any more,
I am in the market for a new smart phone)
and H kept repeating "dad, I want to tell you something."
"dad, I want to tell you something."
He finally took my face in his hands,
turned my head toward him,
and said, "dad, are you listening to me? I want to tell you something."
I was distracted with a smart phone. Is this a problem in your house?
The email can wait.
My son wants to play with me, he wants my attention,
he longs for me to listen to his stories about dinosaurs and monkeys,
and one day that may change, so I want to take all I can get when I can get it.
Am I there, not only physically there for my sons, but really in the moment-there with them?
if I am not there, they may seek the attention some place else...
H just woke from nap, gotta go play legos...



One thing to consider, and I haven't found the right balance yet myself, is that we weren't given children to be their friends and play with them whenever they want and do whatever they want to do. It is important that we are teaching them that there is more to life than playing together. They need to see us serving our wives, church, neighbors, and Father. Maybe it can be about them serving alongside us in those situations. I say, "Hey, Daddy needs to go help the neighbor with something. Want to tag along and help?"
ReplyDeleteGreat comment Sean. I PTL for you! You are a man of the Father that I love chatting with (and miss having hang out times with), iron sharpens iron. Love ya bro! - Chad
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCheck this out, I think it is inline with what you are saying, Chad.
ReplyDeletehttp://tinyurl.com/bozr37k